Some of you might think it is a cocktail where you mix in vodka, juices, Tabasco sauce, etc... and ta da da daaa~
Well, I hope I'm sharing something less scary like its preparation, but.. *takes a deep breath*.. this is the real deal - the contemporary Western folklore -'THE' Bloody Mary.
Bloody Mary is a ghost or witch said to appear in a mirror when you summon her name several times (there are many variations to it : 1, 3, 7, 13, 100). *try buying lottery with this*
The vengeful spirit goes by many names too: Aggie, Agnes, Black Agnes, Bloody Mary, Bloody Bones, Hell Mary, Kathy, Mary Worth, Mary Worthington, Mary Whales, Mary Johnson, Mary Lou, Mary Jane, Sally, Svarte Madame.
Here are some variations/procedures to summon Bloody Mary *try at your own risks*:
- Look into the bathroom mirror with the lights all off, and the bathroom completely black, say "Bloody Mary" thirteen times, a woman will appear and scratch your face up/off.
- Say "Hell Mary" in front the mirror in a dark room for seven times, Satan's image would appear. After three calls, the mirror turns red; after five calls, an indistinct face will materialise.
- Go into a bathroom, turn off all the lights and begin in a whisper, to chant "Bloody Mary" and gradually louder and louder into a near scream as you continue to chant. While chanting, you should be spinning at a medium pace and taking a glimpse in the mirror at each pass. Near the 13th call, "she" should appear... and....??
(True Story: a girl tried this and ran out of the bathroom screaming. She was shaking and appeared genuinely terrified, refusing to relate the incident. Those around her at that time noticed that her clenched fingers were covered in blood)
- Other chants include: "I believe in Mary Worth", "Kathy, come out!", "Bloody Mary! I killed your baby!"
- Variations of what the mirror-witch does upon arrival:
- strike summoner dead;
- drive summoner mad;
- fiercely scratch summoner's face;
- peer malevolently out through the mirror;
- drag summoner into the mirror to live with her. *gulp*
Bloody Mary Worth is said to be a witch who was executed a hundred years ago for plying with black magic/crafts, or a woman of more modern times who died in a car accident in which her face is hideously mutilated.
Various people also relate "Bloody Mary" as Queen Mary I whose life was marked by a number of miscarriages or false pregnancies. Speculation exists that the miscarriage was self-induced, thus resulting in retelling of tale make "Bloody Mary" - the Queen driven to madness due to the loss of her children.
Other sources claim that the British Queen killed young girls so she could bathe in their blood to preserve her youth.